Culture: Ciucurova
The painter Alexandru Ciucurencu was born in Ciucurova locality in 1903. He starts painting in Tulcea, as an apprentice at the house painter Mihail Paraschiv (1916), and then he applies for the Fine Arts School in Bucharest (1921-1928), where he has G.D. Mirea and Camil Ressu as professors.
After working for a while with the group of artists which formed the School of Baia Mare, he heads for Paris, studying at the Julian Academy and in the workshop of Andre Lhote.
In 1948, he became a teacher and then rector (1957-1968) at the Institute of Fine Arts N. Grigorescu from Bucharest.
Distinctions: – laureate of the Official Salon
1930 – the State award
1955 – Ion Andreescu Award of the Romanian Academy
1956 – People’s Artist
1964 – Member of the Romanian Academy
Decisive for setting the vision of Ciucurencu are the nostalgias of the vast space of the Danube Delta, with calm, monochrome horizons, generously opened to the dream and meditation and in the same time, the suggestions of the Parisian artistic climate, especially the promptings to rigor, to construction, to pictorial of Lhote.
Out of the many orientations of the post-impressionist period, which will form with a large enough term the School of Paris, important for the young artist remains the effort to make from painting a more direct communication between the sensitivity of the creator and reality.
Solar temperament, colorist of a rare pathetism, Ciucurencu leaves himself captivated by the harmonies between colors, the logic of each painting arising from these relationships between warm and cold tones, between light and dark areas – from purely pictorial laws. He will not adopt however the lyrical abstraction or the orphic composition, because the nondelivery of his acute sensitivity occurs on the background of the systematization and rationalization of the elements of the reality.
The painter processes the visible material, eliminating everything that bears little or lateral meanings and retains the essential element which can then restore, in the image, the whole of which it originates. A forest, for example, is analyzed and filtered until it gives the representation a few simple verticals, on a uniform mass of color. The austere lines in their verticality evoke the forest trunks, while the colors, melted in large areas, refer to the vegetation, to the green or rust-coloured mass of the leaves, to the blue sky expanses.
Ciucurencu eliminates the incidental, the moment and, maintaining a meditative state, manages to get involved more directly in this reality passionately crossed.
In his art we find balance, the feeling of order, but also the permanent assertion of the creative individuality, of his own sensitivity, in an indedited vocation of color, of the purity of the plastic discourse.

The wind mill is a wooden construction from the beginning of XXth century being a unique objective in the Romanian landscape.

Cerbu Monastery is located between Ciucurova and Topolog, in a landscape of rare beauty. It is a monastery under construction with an amazing design. Few are those who know the monastery   Cerbu, erected on wild counties which were tamed today by the word of God. For this shattered place by a cruel history, the Lord looked for a man worthy of His work and found him in the person of Father Ignatie. Endowed with divine will, the Father descended from Bucovina and laid the bases of the monastic settlement which took the name of Cerbu Monastery and the patron “Ascension of Saint Cross”. (03)(04)(05)(06)

Being a place for profound meditation, with people of absolute giving, the Monastery Cerbul widely opens its gates for the believer who crosses its threshold.

The monastery, lonely site, is located on a plateau surrounded by forests and hill summits with a vegetation specific to Dobrogea. The small church built in rectangular plan, with a single cupola impresses by simplitown.

On the front hill we are presented in miniature the path of Golgotha. The 9 stops of Jesus carrying the cross on his back are symbolized by roadside crucifixes where the believers light candles. Climbing the road which meanders between the 9 constructions, you get to the chapel on top of the hill. From here you can see a panorama of the monastery and the surroundings.

  • The Church dedicated to the “Ascension of the Lord” from Fântâna Mare was built in stone brought from the village quarry in Byzantine style, in form of cross with three cupolas, the master Zanea is the first constructor mentioned in documents.

The first settlement of the village dates back to the age of the Ottoman reign – from the information collected from the old men. Initially there were a number of Circassian families who, after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, were forced to leave these lands. In that time there were at about 6 kilometres south from the current settlement of the village – in the place called „Taca” – about 50 Byelorussian families who lived on an estate, the property of a Turk, and the Circassians left and were brought by the Russians and installed in the free houses left.

The First World War suspended the construction works, which started only in 1922 under the coordination of the constructor Ţârdea from Tulcea. The sanctification took place in 1947, and was made by P. S. Bishop Lieutenant Antim Nica from Lower Danube.

  • The Church dedicated to the “Holy Virgin Protection” from Ciucurova gathers believers at holiday time every year on 1st October.
  • The mosque from Ciucurova is a Muslim cult church, built in 1922 with a special architecture, a tower which stands out supple and majestic, scanning the horizon. The mosques are constructions designed for the celebration of Muslim cult, usually larger than a mosk.