The local resources of Topolog commune are represented by the agricultural lands of very good quality which represent a strong potential regarding the employment in this field, the forest fund of the commune, human resources represented by specialists in various fields of activity. The wind energy is an unconventional resource which began to be used in the area since 2007, and the local water sources ensure the water supply of the entire commune with drinking water of the highest quality.

By its diversity of tree species, flora, fauna, landscapes and special places, Topolog Forest represents a beauty in all the seasons. An ideal place for recreation in the middle of the nature, with clean air, tranquility and peace.
Măgurele Natural Reservation has a surface of 292 ha, being located on the administrative territory of Topolog commune. With the specific flora and fauna, the reservation is distinguished by the vegetal laces in stone that give uniqueness to the place, which transposes us into another world, a carefully protected world, for the plants and animals here to be protected and the landscape to remain the same. Due to the prohibition to graze in the forest fund, the meadows are very well preserved and representative for the steppe undisturbed anthropically. The reservation is distinguished in terms of landscape also through the very deep ravines, dug in deep loess deposits.
  • The Orthodox Church in Făgăraşu Nou has a simple and elegant shape. The iconographic representations were executed skilfully and painstakingly. The interior of the church gives you that feeling of intimacy, familiarity, necessary to feel closer to God. The religious scenes depicted on the iconostasis of the church are impressive. (01)(02)

The church is distinguished by its large size, being placed on a hill from where it dominates the view and assembles perfectly with the surrounding landscape. The image of the imposing church, the scattered tops of the trees, the serene canopy, the fluffy clouds, the crystalline voice of the bell, the kind voice of the priest will restore you the inner peace.

  • The Orthodox Church in Măgurele is small, archaic but very welcoming. The church is hunkering between the trees that silently guard the tranquility of the place. Place of deep meditation, with people of an absolute dedication, the church widely opens its gates towards the believers who cross its threshold. (03)(04)

Topolog Hermitage, also known as the “Exaltation of the Holy Cross Hermitage “, is located, from a geographical point of view, in Topolog Plateau, only 3.5 kilometers away from Topolog commune. The Hermitage is located 49 kilometers southwest of Tulcea. In the hermitage of Topolog live five nuns in community life. Besides the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the hermitage also has a second patron, namely St. Basil the Great. Topolog Hermitage is founded by the priest Vasile Vilcu, parish priest of St. Demetrius Church, from Topolog. The hermitage was built between the years 2001-2002, on a land belonging to the family of the priest. (05)(06)(07)(08)

The Hermitage is located 49 kilometers southwest of Tulcea, the access being made on the National Road 22A. From Harsova locality, the access is made on the National Road 22A, to the northwest, about 54 kilometers to the monastery.

The church of the hermitage was built in 2000, in honor of the Holy Cross which was encrusted in a tree trunk, in Topolog forest, about 50 meters away from the place on which was subsequently built the church. Cutting the tree, in December, 1992, and taking it to the intended place were accompanied by a series of miracles: an unusual weight of the wood, its repeated fall from the trailer, the stopping of the tractor, inexplicable from a technical point of view, as well as many of these. In March 1993, an inhabitant of the village Fagarasu Nou, which had participated in the tree cutting, succeeded, after innumerable attempts, to split the piece of wood in which was encrusted the Holy Cross. For three days, from this blessed wood sprang drops of myrrh and, due to the faith of those who have requested healing, it shows himself as miracle worker and healer.

The two pieces of wood, in which was found the Holy Cross, were placed, for worship, in the parish church from Fagarasu Nou, where they stayed until 2001. From this year, the shrine with the Holy Cross was placed in the chapel built near the place from where it was cut the tree trunk, chapel that will become the church of the Topolog hermitage.

Built of cellular concrete and lined with wood, inside, the church has the size of 15 meters long and 5 meters wide. By the ship shape, it approaches the basilican style. Both by the presence of the central dome, built above the nave, alongside a secondary dome, as well as through the division into transverse direction of the interior, in the three main parts (altar, nave and narthex), the church falls within the Byzantine style. The interior aspect, with all the decorations obtained through woodworking, frames the holy settlement in the natural atmosphere of the space in which it is placed, giving it a genuine status in the area.

At the foundation of this museum stood a private collection, constituted over the course of 40 years by Mr. Trofin Ion. This has collected over the years archaeological materials discovered in the locality and surroundings (pottery fragments, polished stone tools, weapons etc), but also ethnographical pieces, which illustrate some of the concerns of the inhabitants of Topolog. Trofin Ion, with the financial support of Topolog City Council arranged a small museum in a space provided by the School Group in the locality.

In the small “room”, which hosts the exhibition are displayed as we have said, archaeological pieces, but also ethnographical pieces that come from the same collection and various donors in the locality. The initiative is a praiseworthy one, it deserves to be popularized, being a good example for the local communities, that wish to equip museums. Also in the small exhibition are exhibited a series of archaeological pieces discovered in the month of May of this year, together with Mr. Trofin Ion in the Roman settlement from Topolog.

The archaeological discoveries attest the existence, on the territory of the commune, of a habitation from the Latene era, but also a large settlement from the Roman era (II-VI centuries AD) (01)(02)

Going down in time, on the thread of history, in the beginning, there were two communities in the area: Topal- ava and Topal- Ak, that is the Romanian Topolog and the Tatar Topolog, designations with which first appears in the ottoman Register of 1573. Much later, in the Russian military map of 1828, the locality appears as Tunalo, because in 1850 the agronomist Ion lonescu from Brad mentioned here two neighboring localities: Topalong and Topolog, with the mention that the latter was already deserted because of the Russian-Turkish war of 1828- 1829.